 General / 2585
Re: UFO's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:30:57 GMT

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:59:32 GMT, "Simon Robinson"
<simon.robinson@sdxplc.com> wrote:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else got the impression that
the UFO's that were withdrawn this year might have completely
flopped saleswise?

I wonder how much some of TLG new lines (some of which are fairly decent
ideas) suffer from being launched all at once.

Look at the Divers line.  There are 12 sets, which are all more alike
than different.  It seems like every set had a sub (which were all
identical, except for the length and accessories), a boat, and a
seafloor.  TLG launched these all at once, to maximize everyone's
impression that they were all alike.  If TLG had started out with just a
few of these sets, then released more over the following year(s), people
wouldn't care as much about the high level of similarities.

I think the UFOs would have been the same.

Don't get me wrong--I like the Divers line, they are a lot of fun to
build (and display).  They've got some great parts.  (they've got their
downsides, parts-wise) Same with the UFO sets. But thesets were just too
much like each other to be released simultaneously.

Steve