 General / 2586
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:47:51 GMT

Steve Scott wrote:

Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote in message <36C65305.A351656B@vfaq.com>...
<snip>

NOT AGREED.  They would have no incentive to do this if there were no
profit.  A small profit is understandable, and if they sold direct to us, • even with
profit added in, we would save tons of money, as the 100%+ markup of • running
through the distribution channel would never happen.

100%+ mark-up, in your dreams!! Where did this figure come from?
I don't know if the system is different in the states, but in the UK, there
is no distribution "channel".  Over here TLG sells straight to retailers.
Everybody buys from TLG at the  same price.  If you ordered in excess of
£100,000 worth in your last year, then you are awarded an extra 2% discount.
There are another couple of incentive schemes that might add another 1% to
your trade discount, but that is it!  Surprisingly, there is NO recommended
retail price list, only the standard trade price list.  Shelf prices are at
the discretion of the retailer.  Highest margin sets are the £10-£15 boxes
which realise about 30-35% TOPS.  At the other end of the scale are the sets
that Argos stock.  Matching their prices squeezes margins to a wafer thin 8%
in the worst cases.

I used to work in the toy department of a large department store.  The markup on
almost all of our stuff between our cost and final retail price was about 100%.
Some was even more.

If I was a Lego retailer, I would object to TLG selling direct to a group of
people who have the means to sub-distribute (via the web) at a profit. Who's
to say that any product sold to RTL'ers won't find it's way back on to the
open market at a profit.

This shouldn't be an issue.  TLG can easily have a requirement of membership in
the club that the goods purchased are not allowed to be sold through any other
mass-marketing channels at a profit.  Further, there could be little incentive
for a person to purchase from any individuals who were to try this because they
can easily become members in the club themselves and get discounts directly from
LEGO.

Mark