 General / 2489
Re: Gary Louie Death
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:45:53 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <36C01F00.880A33F5@voyager.net>...
The Lego community as a whole, and the train sub community in
particular, has suffered a significant and profound loss with the
passing of Gary Louie on 5 February.

Gary was a number of things to the community:

He was always of good cheer. I don't recall him ever getting deeply
involved in some of the flamefests we had. Thus, he was a force for
stability in RTL and a good example to the rest of us. He was quick to
post a thoughtful suggestion.

He was helpful to the newcomer. I can recall many times when Gary
stepped in with a quick answer about something, a suggestion about how
things were done, or a hint.

I know that well. My inbox full of with messages from Gary, answering my
questions, that arized here or there, in a way that very nice, kind, and
patient, rangng from information about what the holly fish is, to many
"puns" that I couldn't understand because of my not-so-good English.

Thanks Gary, It was very nice to conversate with you. And thanks Larrry, you
turned our feelings to words very nicely.

Selçuk

He also knew more about airline routings
than most and shared a lot of that info with me over the years. Gary
made me and many other relative newcomers welcome when we appeared and
shared his knowledge of train lore with us all.

He was knowledgable about the Train line. Although Gary often denied it,
because he was so modest, he often chimed in with a bit of knowledge
that made the difference in answering a question. He also would ask
questions of others that spurred them on to giving more and better
detail. It was a series of questions from Gary that spurred me to post
my glossary of LEGO/Train terms (and I intend to dedicate it to him).

He was a scrupulously fair and honest trader. Gary and I had conducted a
number of trades and they always came off without a hitch, and further,
they were always communicated precisely. Gary was willing to share his
knowledge of obscure stores and obtained rare parts for me several
times, even though it was out of his way to make the trip. Gary and I
often contested for the same items in auctions at first, but we soon
realised that we would benefit from cooperation, and I have lost count
of the number of times that we agreed on who should get a particular
item. It's true that it was not always of benefit to the seller, but I
often would bid on something after Gary reached his max.

He was an organizer. The opening weekend celebration/fest/meet would not
have a chance of coming off without the spark Gary brought. I'm glad to
see that, typically for Gary, he had involved others who will be
carrying on, and I hope to be there myself. I regret that my kids will
not get to meet Gary, though.

I am greatly saddened by our shared loss.

Gary, you will be sorely missed. Play well.

Larry Pieniazek