 General / 23685
Re: Concerning Juniorisation.. Where are we? & Crystal Ball gazing..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:30:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Alex Farlie writes:

Did we win the argument..? I mean Town Jr gone from the range... Maybee it
didn't sell ;-)

So far in terms of Jr we have had :

First let me define what I think Juniorisation is.

To me juniorisation is when a set is made using large specialized pieces where
the same or similar effect could have been achieved using more generic/standard
pieces.

That is my personal definition.  I think some others include lack of
imagination in set design to be jr as well.

Now based on my definition...

City Center - Town Jr...

Agreed, very jr.

Knights Knigdom - Castle Jr...

Agreed again.

Life On Mars ...(Nice new idea ) but I am getting waves of Space Jr off it..

I don't know because I don't have the sets but from the pictures I would tend
to disagree.  Most of the sets seem to be comprised of fairly standard parts
for the most part.  Sure the base has those tubes but they don't bother me.
Actually to me it looks like a new idea and I am always open to new ideas.

Besides I really dig the colors...

Racers - Defintly Jr..

Really can't tell what these are because they are animations and not real set
pictures.  If the are LEGO it is very possible but until we see the actual sets
I will hold off on classifying them as Jr.

But Technic's improving and there is Aplha Team...

I don't see where Technic is improving at all.  All I see are Throwbots and
throwbot off-shoots.  Other than the Power Puller I don't see much that excites
me Technic wise.

Alpha Team looks like it has possibilities but actually I think it is
potentially more on the Jr. side than the Mars stuff.

All this being said I don't have a problem with a little Juniorisation.  It has
a place in the product line as a transition from Duplo into System stuff.
Actually now with the Mickey Mouse sets it would probably be a transition from
those as well.  So I don't think we need to call for an end to all
Juniorisation.  All I hope for is that we get non-Jr. stuff other than the Star
Wars sets and I think we are seeing that slowly but surely.

I personally hope we get some non-jr. Town stuff but I also hope they keep some
City Centre stuff because I think it is an excellent entry level line even if
none of us would buy it for ourselves.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/