 General / 22764
    Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme? —Steve Bliss
   (...) Yes. It's easier to mass-market product when it looks like a totally brand-new concept. So having long-time Themes hanging around is counter-productive, marketing-wise. Plus, "Space", "Castle", and "Town" aren't exciting. Too vague and general (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme? —Mike Petrucelli
     (...) If TLC is marketing to children in general then their current trends make sense in the short run. On the other hand if TLC wants to keep a new generation of would be AFOLs (which I would argue is the majority of TLC's revenue) then they are (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

         Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme? —James Simpson
      (...) Yep. TLC just doesn't get it...not yet, anyway. We're a bunch of spend-happy AFOLS because we were hooked on a quality product when we were children. If TLC doesn't give kids a product with inherent worth that can be carried past adolescence, (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme? —Suzanne D. Rich
   (...) I'd agree with this interpretation. I'd suggest that fans try to respect TLC's will to survive, even while feeling nostalgic. From a marketing point of view, I'd also say that "modeling" in general is kinda dead. By modeling I mean like the (...) (24 years ago, 7-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme? —Steve Bliss
   (...) Here's a challenge: what positive suggestions can fans make to TLC? What directions could TLC explore, which would generate income for them, and make us happy? Bulk purchasing is a good direction. If it grows into a full-blown channel, (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)