 General / 2243
Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:31:43 GMT

James Aldrich wrote:
Michael Ulring wrote:

I'll first say that I have a small number of fellow Lego enthusiasts who
are somewhat closer friends than the rest of you [1].
So, when I was contemplating the start of my new Town auction (which
I'll shamelessly plug, it's at:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/2436/townauct.htm) I realized
that there are a few sets that more than one of my friends may have an
interest in.  What is the best way to offer these sets to them without
sacrificing the value they could bring to me in an auction, or showing
favoritism between a number of my friends?

Stop trying to tailor reality to fit every nuance of your sensibilities.
An auction is the fairest way to dispose of things in return for value
but it is incompatible with certain other goals, e.g making everyone
happy.  Let auctions be auctions.

James has a point.  Regarding your idea of giving a discount - I can say that
I would definitely feel it was as unfair as any other tactic that would drive
up the prices in an auction, and if I knew the auctioneer was going to do so,
I'd be far less inclined to bid in such an auction.

If you want to be nice to these friends of yours, you might want to do
something like a 'pre-auction'.  Set up a mailing list with all of them on it,
put on the sets you think they'd like with a minimum price you think is fair
to you and them, and say 'Best offer in a week gets it.'  Anything that isn't
sold in that goes into your regular auction.

This way, your buddies get first crack at things in a setting where the bidding
will probably be less competetive.  You might not make as much as if you sold
them in an open auction, but if you want to give your friends discount prices,
you'll have to live with that.