 General / 2242
Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:43:54 GMT

Michael Ulring wrote:

I'll first say that I have a small number of fellow Lego enthusiasts who
are somewhat closer friends than the rest of you [1].  This group of
individuals, some local and others who are outside the US, have either
been very generous in their dealings with me, or we've just gotten to
know each other over the course of dozens of emails or numerous
get-togethers.

So, when I was contemplating the start of my new Town auction (which
I'll shamelessly plug, it's at:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/2436/townauct.htm) I realized
that there are a few sets that more than one of my friends may have an
interest in.  What is the best way to offer these sets to them without
sacrificing the value they could bring to me in an auction, or showing
favoritism between a number of my friends?  I wouldn't really feel right
asking for top dollar from these friends, but I am trying to make back
some of the money I recently spent on large collections.  So what am I
to do?

Stop trying to tailor reality to fit every nuance of your sensibilities.
An auction is the fairest way to dispose of things in return for value
but it is incompatible with certain other goals, e.g making everyone
happy.  Let auctions be auctions.

JSA