 General / 2249
Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:29:10 GMT

Jeff Johnston <sakura@mediaone.net> wrote:
James has a point.  Regarding your idea of giving a discount - I can say that
I would definitely feel it was as unfair as any other tactic that would drive
up the prices in an auction, and if I knew the auctioneer was going to do so,
I'd be far less inclined to bid in such an auction.

I offered bidders in my first auction a discount in my second, and I
think I even did something weird like offer the highest bidder in one
a discount on the next one (parts auction - highest amount of parts
bought).  I stopped doing that not really because I thought it was
unfair or that it might drive up the price, nor out of any concern
that people might perceive it that way and refuse to participate.  I
did it mainly because I thought my prices were more than fair to start
with and because it became too much of a hassle to keep up with.

If you want to be nice to these friends of yours, you might want to do
something like a 'pre-auction'.  Set up a mailing list with all of them on it,
put on the sets you think they'd like with a minimum price you think is fair
to you and them, and say 'Best offer in a week gets it.'  Anything that isn't
sold in that goes into your regular auction.

This way, your buddies get first crack at things in a setting where the bidding
will probably be less competetive.  You might not make as much as if you sold
them in an open auction, but if you want to give your friends discount prices,
you'll have to live with that.

I've done this before but I've mainly switched over to doing straight
sales for now, so all I really need to do is keep people in mind whom
I'd like to give first crack at things, then let them have it.  If
they buy all of it, fine.  If they buy some, I just include the rest
in the public sale.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide