 General / 2237
    Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —Michael Ulring
   I'll first say that I have a small number of fellow Lego enthusiasts who are somewhat closer friends than the rest of you [1]. This group of individuals, some local and others who are outside the US, have either been very generous in their dealings (...) (26 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —Jasper Janssen
     (...) *has a Jerry Sp..puke flashback* (...) Or without reason: if th bidders don't like it, he sells at a lower price or not at all. Ultimately, it's self-interest that keeps auctions fair :) Jasper (26 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —James Aldrich
      (...) Stop trying to tailor reality to fit every nuance of your sensibilities. An auction is the fairest way to dispose of things in return for value but it is incompatible with certain other goals, e.g making everyone happy. Let auctions be (...) (26 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.general)

         Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —Jeff Johnston
     (...) James has a point. Regarding your idea of giving a discount - I can say that I would definitely feel it was as unfair as any other tactic that would drive up the prices in an auction, and if I knew the auctioneer was going to do so, I'd be far (...) (26 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.general)

         Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —Chris Moseley
       Jeff Johnston wrote in (...) This is what I've done in the past and it seems to have worked fairly well. As a rule first I offer stuff to Larry P, then to a list of others, then I'll run an auction (and Larry will bid :) Moz (26 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.general)

         Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —Mike Stanley
     (...) I offered bidders in my first auction a discount in my second, and I think I even did something weird like offer the highest bidder in one a discount on the next one (parts auction - highest amount of parts bought). I stopped doing that not (...) (26 years ago, 28-Jan-99, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —James Brown
     (...) I would agree that this would be considered unfair - regardless of why you're doing it, you are tilting a (theoretically) even playing field, which is one reason people run auctions rather than straight sales(1). (...) What I have considered (...) (26 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —Tom Stangl
      (...) This shouldn't be an issue at all. I am almost ALWAYS at a monetary disadvantage in auctions, especially if I am bidding against Tony, Larry, Rob, or Gary ;-) (...) THIS one might be an issue. (...) | Please do not associate my personal views (...) (26 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Thoughts on having preferred customers in auctions —David Zorn
    Michael Ulring wrote in message <36AE9BC8.CC361301@e...uc.edu>... :2. My preferred bidders will bid higher than they would otherwise :because they are always mentally including their discount in their bids, :thus driving the price higher than it (...) (26 years ago, 29-Jan-99, to lugnet.general)