 General / 21552
Re: WOOD LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:04:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:

Manuel Cueto wrote:

I am just wondering how many of you have old lego in wood or maybe plastic
toys like the ones we can see in "50 years of play" or "The ultimate lego • book"

I have a photocopy with more than 100 old toys like cars, dolls, furniture,
table games, animals etc.. from 40´s and 50´s. All from LEGO.

Manuel

There are a lot of wooden toys made by TLC.  They were produced until Feb. 4, • 1960,
when there was a fire that destroyed the wooden toy warehouse in Billund. • After
that date, TLC got out of the wooden toy business to concentrate on the • plastic
bricks.  The only wooden products made after 1960 (AFAIK) were the wooden LEGO
boxes - such as #710, #711, #712, #713, #820, #821 and #700.  The interesting • thing
about these wooden LEGO boxes is that all the different varieties were sold • with or
without LEGO contents.  710, 712, 820 and "700 with contents" were sold as • full
sets.  711, 713, 821 and "700 without contents" were sold as empty wooden • boxes for
people to put their own LEGO into.  These wooden boxes were sold from 1957-68.
They were NEVER sold in North America (although I know the existence of a • Samsonite
wooden dealer box).  I have 7 of these boxes in my collection, and they are a
fascinating addition to LEGO collecting.  Note:  some of the wooden box set • numbers
I have listed have been reused again.  Some of these (the wooden box ones) • are not
in the LUGNET database.  One interesting observation was that LEGO Europe was • using
the 711 number for a wooden box set in the early 1960's at the same time that • LEGO
Samsonite was using this number for a basic set in USA/Canada.

Gary Istok

I have four of these boxes, one I think is the oldest of all. It have the old
Lego logo (open O) on top and has the slide top. Inside all are the same, only
this have in the middle the lid division that you can take off (the others
have it in the left side). The other are the new ones. Those appear in the
catalogs of early 70´s.

I saw in Ebay one that have the slide top, with the photo of two children and
the pattern of bricks.

Also I saw in brickshelf that the newer ones have a cardboard tringle in the
top, maybe to hold catalogs (In the ones I have, don´t appear this, neither
the glue).

I also have  the first town plan (in wood) a train and a fire engine.

One question to Gary, I saw in Ebay (when you are on vacation) a lot of old
windows, not clasic windows and were bigger (the seller said are lego) but I
never saw those in any place. I send you the scan of the windows (if I can
found it).

Manuel Cueto