 General / 21574
Re: WOOD LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:49:45 GMT

Hi Bryan,

Thanks!!

You don't want to know how I store this stuff.  It is what I call the "layered"
look.  The stuff that has been there longer is on the bottom of the stacks.  But
I take great care to make sure nothing gets damaged, or worse (if you live in a
city that is built upon a what used to be a Great Lakes swamp) water damaged.  I
know that sometimes when you access my website (actually it's Larry Pieniazek's
webspace) it doesn't build all the pictures.  If you try again, you should be
able to view it all.  Due to the fact that I have had so little time recently
(dad died last year after a long illness, mom had cancer and I check up on her
every day, I switched jobs and drive 57 miles each way, etc), I haven't built
much.  But part of the problem is I usually want to build on a massive scale (I
have circa 600,000 LEGO parts), and therefore everything I want to build takes
forever.   I have mentioned this before, but if anyone is in the metro Detroit
area, you are welcome to stop by for a visit, and a short history of LEGO.  (So
far only Lar has taken me up on that offer.)

I just bought a new computer and have a scanner, which I have yet to hook up
(the scanner that is).  I really want to get the 1950's and early 1960's stuff
posted, especially my collection of parts packs (20 different colorful box
pictures). Also I want to post some of my really rare stuff.  Probably my rarest
LEGO item is the contents of (Denmark only?) the 1950's version of #231-- Esso
Service Pumps/Sign set.  The Danish kit included (I believe) three 1x1 red round
bricks with Esso Oil sticker wrapped around them.  I have talked to many
knowledgeable collectors, and these oil drums (of the 1x1 round variety) are
unknown to them all.  If anyone has any info about these, please let me know.

As soon as I get some time, I want to do a "History of Classic LEGO Windows
--1957 to the present".  Future projects waiting in the wings:  1) all Town Plan
building dioramas 1957-68, 2) Central Station - a new main train station with
twin 18 story towers, 3) Art Deco district using pink, green, teal, orange,
white, yellow, tan,  gray and black accents, 4) a historic shopping arcade (sort
of like a Galleria Vittorio Emannuel in Milan Italy), 5) historic Victorian
houses  (like the "painted ladies" in San Fransisco), 6) turn my new Gothic
Cathedral into an Abbey complex (monastery),  build a large hotel complex (using
arches and steep sloped roofs) in the style of the Hotel Frontenac in Quebec
City, Canada.   So much to do, so little time.

Gary Istok

Bryan Kinkel wrote:

Gary,
I always enjoy your postings about early Lego sets and accessories. Do you
have any photos of the older items from your collection?

I have seen the pictures at  http://my.voyager.net/lar/gistok.html . But
several of the pictures don't show up due to bad links. (ie "Gary's Big Pile
of Stuff", "Gary's City Hall", etc )

I would love to see some of your more recent creations and photos of very
early Lego releases. I'm also interested in seeing how you store the
collection.

Thanks,

Bryan
bryan@kinkel.net

"Gary Istok" <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message

That EBAY wooden box you saw in EBAY (with the 2 children and the LEGO • pattern on
the box) was the one I bid on (and won).