 General / 21335
21334  |  21336
Subject:
E-Mailing Postings (was Re: Tips on how to make transactions more successful)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:40:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, Larry Pieniazek writes:
  <snip>
I'm not defending. I'm not attacking. I'm just trying to be equanamible.

Kudos to Larry for making me check my dictionary.  :-)  Ironically, it's
not even there (or in my Word97 spell-check)  The closest word listed is
equanimity, (composure) but I can extrapolate from there.

In lugnet.market.theory, Mark Harrison writes:
I'm happy to respect Larry's personal wish not to receive a copy of
any response I or anyone makes to any post he places on the newsgroups
but please DO continue to send me a copy of any replies to my posts.

But I am not going to do that either. I post using the web interface.
Mailing a post seems to me to defeat the purpose of a newsgroup, as well
as adding a lot of extra work on my end.

In my opinion, it is the polite thing to do and is not a waste of time
I might miss your replies on the newsgroups...

It is a waste of *my* time to compensate for your not reading groups...

Both of you have valid points, although I would say Larry has the
more logical position.  Perhaps we could have a standard e-mail
header that everyone would use IF they chose to send an e-mail copy
of their posting.  There's too many postings for most people to read
them all, but duplicates - with no indication they're duplicates - make
so sense, cause confusion, and waste people's time.

I propose that we all follow the following as common courtesy.
When sending an e-mail that is exactly or essentially a duplicate,
include "LUGNET COPY" in the subject line and/or make it the first
line of the e-mail text.

Todd: (or others?) Feel free to override or improve this suggestion.

SRC