 Organizations / Australia / 716
Re: Tips on how to make transactions more successful (was Re: Dopey ebay seller!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:55:04 GMT

Maybe I'm tilting at windmills here...

In lugnet.market.theory, Mark Harrison writes:
Hi All,

I'm happy to respect Larry's personal wish not to receive a copy of any • response I
or anyone makes to any post he places on the newsgroups but please DO • continue to
send me a copy of any replies to my posts on the newsgroups, that includes you
Larry.

But I am not going to do that either. I post using the web interface. Mailing
a post seems to me to defeat the purpose of a newsgroup, as well as adding a
lot of extra work on my end. There is posting, and there is talking by email.
Mailing lists excepted, the two are conceptually rather different.

So I am going to continue to post without sending copies and I am going to
continue to rail against the practice by others as it confuses me to receive
things in the mail with no indication that they were posted as well.

In my opinion, it is the polite thing to do and is not a waste of time

It is a waste of *my* time to compensate for your not reading groups every day
by mailing you stuff that you could find yourself. Sometimes I don't get to
read every day either but if I miss something, oh well. If I respond late, oh
well.

Further it is a waste of *my* time to respond to something twice because it
was mailed to me. Am I supposed to go check the newsgroups to see if perhaps,
the little tidbit I just got was also posted? Pah. Life is too short.

as I might
miss your replies on the newsgroups or find them too late to
defend my actions.

Why do you see things as attacks that you need to defend?

++Lar