 General / 20024
Re: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:32:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Thompson writes:

I haven't played the GB game.  Should I?  Which one?  I'm not
real hep on the idea of buying multiple iterations of a cartridge
(Pokemon blue, Pokemon yellow, Pokemon Silver or whatever) just
to be able to gather a few new monsters, if that's all that the
different versions are about.

The reason for different mosters in different version is pretty simple- you're
supposed to buy one and trade (via the Link Cable) with other players.

Pokemon was Nintendo's answer to the Tamagotchi trend.  The advantage that
Pokemon had was that it was far more interactive (with other people, I mean).
That caused it to last a LOT longer.

I was hoping to hear some day that the Gameboy game had been
translated into a good Nintendo 64 game, which might give me a reason
to buy an N64.  (On second thought, I suppose I'd rather not find
a good reason to buy an N64.)

Then you might want not me to tell you this, but Pokemon Stadium (for the
N64) goes one better than a mere rehashing of the Game Boy game.  PS comes with
an adapter though which you can *download* your GB Pokemon into the PS
cartridge, and fight with all your old Pokemon in glorious color and 3D on the
N64.

For the record:  I do have an N64, but I do NOT own a Game Boy or any Pokemon
games.  I have played Pokemon Snap, which is actually pretty fun (except that a
monkey with a head wound could judge photos better than the engine they gave
Professor Oak in the game)- I just think the adaptability and interactiveness
of the games is really cool.

eric

eric