 General / 20051
Re: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:49:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Joslin writes:

The reason for different mosters in different version is pretty simple- you're
supposed to buy one and trade (via the Link Cable) with other players.

So which version is the best to begin with?  (Or for someone
who doesn't know many other Pokemon Gameboy players, so the trading
aspect might not be that important?)  Jeremy, do you have any suggestions?

I was hoping to hear some day that the Gameboy game had been
translated into a good Nintendo 64 game, which might give me a reason
to buy an N64.  (On second thought, I suppose I'd rather not find
a good reason to buy an N64.)

Then you might want not me to tell you this, but Pokemon Stadium (for the
N64) goes one better than a mere rehashing of the Game Boy game.  PS comes • with
an adapter though which you can *download* your GB Pokemon into the PS
cartridge, and fight with all your old Pokemon in glorious color and 3D on the
N64.

I've seen screenshots, and Pokemon Stadium looks *beautiful*!  And
so it's tempting, but it looks like a pure-D fighting game, and
fighting games (of the traditional Street Fighter II martial arts kind)
tend to bore me.  As I understand it, there is at least some RPG
elements involved in the game-boy game, whereas Pokemon Stadium
is purely an arena for you to fight pokemon against each other.  Which
might be fun to watch, but I'm not sure of the long term play value,
at least not with a game-boy pokemon cartridge to go along with it.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"