 General / 20022
Re: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:19:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I discovered that I actually like Pokemon.

Anyone hear an echo?  :-,

The Game Boy game is pretty fun,
Oh, you just mean that you like the game boy game, right?

It started from that, yes.  Barbara and I have also recently started buying
into some of the cooler miniatures; I currently have Cubone sitting Shiva on
my computer monitor at work, and am actively seeking Charizard for Barbara.

Heh

Atop my monitor:  Gengar, Sandslash, and Lickitongue (who I
joke looks as if he wants to grace the cover of the next Rolling
Stones album).

I'm hoping to win a bid on a Marril ("Pikablu") figure on Ebay
at some point.  :^)

My gripe about the Tomy figures is that they are all about
the same size.  I'd like to see a Charzard to scale - an enormous
dragon drawfing the other figures.

Ag.  Ack.  Ptui.  Don't get me started.  Oops, you got me started...

I realize that the show is crucial for Nintendo's marketing juggernaut, but
it's quite absolutely atrocious.  After watching just two minutes, I want an
epileptic siezure to make it stop.  It's that bad.

Weapons-grade brainwashing techniques aside, the show also suffers horribly
from its characters and plot.  EVEN for a cheap Japanese kid's cartoon.  If
Team Rocket acted half as well in the show as they did in the game, Ash & co.
would soon be hiding out in bomb shelters.

Heh!

The five-year-old in the household enjoys the cartoon show, and as
a result, I have a fondness for it, too.  Sure, it's cheap.  Sure,
it's a promotional device.  Sure, the plots are lame.  But it
tickles me nonetheless.

Favorite moments:  Pikachu laughing mockingly as Ash stumbles in his
first attempt to capture a wild pokemon.  And "Meowth chooses Meowth!" in
as he tries to be his own trainer in a pokemon battle.

For what age group do you think that Pokemon is appropriate?

The GB game, probably anywhere from age 8 upwards.  (I can't really speak for
the card game.)  I'm 28, and I enjoy the game very much.  I just think that
the concept (1) and presentation are absolutely brilliant.

I haven't played the GB game.  Should I?  Which one?  I'm not
real hep on the idea of buying multiple iterations of a cartridge
(Pokemon blue, Pokemon yellow, Pokemon Silver or whatever) just
to be able to gather a few new monsters, if that's all that the
different versions are about.

I was hoping to hear some day that the Gameboy game had been
translated into a good Nintendo 64 game, which might give me a reason
to buy an N64.  (On second thought, I suppose I'd rather not find
a good reason to buy an N64.)

Random LEGO-related segue - I saw the Pokemon megabloks sets last
night.  Ritvik always has an eye for leaping on a hot trend in a
fairly interesting way.  Example:  their dinosaur sets from around
the time that Jurassic Park was popular.

--

jthompson@esker.com  "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"