 General / 19758
Re: Harry Potter Lego Line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:53:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
   All right, folks, as most of you know, I am not aware of certain aspects
of society, I guess you could say. I have heard of Harry Potter before, but
know little about it. Does anyone care to share a brief overview of the
Harry Potter books? I would appreciate it!

Sure.  A brief overview of the first book (the only one I've read):

Harry is an orphan with foster parents (his aunt & uncle I think) who
treat him horribly, never giving him presents and making him live under
the stairs. He gets an invitation/scholarship to attend a boarding school,
which turns out to be a boarding school for young wizards, finds out that
his parents were both powerful wizards before they died, and that he is
'something special' even among magical folk.  Each book is basically the
story of one of Harry's years at the school.

I've got to say that the first book was...all right.  It didn't seem to
inspire the whole "Harry Potter mania" in me that it did in so many
others.  On the other hand, it's the biggest thing for getting kids
reading, which I am all in favor of.  Maybe they'll discover some of the
other wonderful books out there which the HP series draws on...