 General / 1974
Re: To quote a scholar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:30:53 GMT

I have noticed that lego has lost the "construction toy" lead.  A lot of
the sets seem to be toys in themselves, rather than a mechanism for a child
to learn about construction.

Lego seems to trying to play toy-world domination recently at the expense of
their core product line. Some examples...

RC Car - LEGO takes on Tyco & Nikko
Znap - LEGO takes on K-Nex
Duplo Winnie the Pooh - LEGO takes on various Disney licensees
Star Wars - LEGO takes on the movie souvenir market
Scala - LEGO takes on Barbie
LEGO Games/CD-ROM Technic sets - LEGO takes on the PC game market

Now I'm not that these aren't high quality/cool toys but I can't help thinking
LEGO is spreading itself too thin too fast. Ironic, that by taking on K-Nex
they have produced more construction-orientated sets than they are producing
in their traditional themes.

Matt