 General / 1968
1967  |  1969
Subject:
To quote a scholar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:07:52 GMT

My mad scientist friend (we've all got them, haven't we?) - a PHd student in
robotics and robot design and college lecturer in Maths - had this to say
after we were comparing the classic 691 Rescue Helicopter (my first set)
with the pap that Lego seems intent on squirting out claiming to be a
news/police/rescue/etc helicopter right now... (with his permission)

-------->8----------
Lego is better engineered in itself though, so you can have a level of
"isn't this toy a superb bit of engineering!" going on.  This mmakes lego
exceptable for the construction of prototype robots and stuff.  The amount
of research papers printed that use lego robots is really huge.

I have noticed that lego has lost the "construction toy" lead.  A lot of
the sets seem to be toys in themselves, rather than a mechanism for a child
to learn about construction.  The sets are intended to be used for
"playing" rather then "building", or is this just me having terrible rose
tints in my glasses.

I think he's hit the nail on the head, hasn't he?

Steve
Why not visit Llegogogoch?
http://mis.fortunecity.com/lego/