 General / 19626
Re: Crashing your Lego creation safely...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:41:48 GMT

While this might be a silly question I am looking for suggestions on how • to
crash a fairly large lego model (Helicopter) on a ground surface while
minimizing the risk of breaking pieces.

The goal here is to crash my UH-60 http://www.netpresonic.com/lego/ with • full
crew and attached SEAL team and then photo document the wreckage.

These men will die, but for a good cause -- to improve safety features of • the
UH-60.

You can:

Simulate a failed autorotation by having it panckake from high altitude.
This would distribute the impact along the greatest surface area, minimizing
the risk of damage to individual pieces.

- or -

Loosen parts along the point of impact to ensure that damage occurs along
the joints between parts and NOT on the parts themselves.  You're basically
creating a structural weakness for the impact forces to act against.

There may be other options but these are the ones I'd try.

Will

Lego Beach Department of Emergency Services
www.crosswinds.net/~hokie

P.S. - LBFR is well equipped to respond to aircraft crashes with a pair of
airport crash trucks and a USAR qualified rescue company.  Just thought
you'd like to know that :-)