 General / 19062
Re: The Making of LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:56:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Johnston writes:
I was thinking about LEGO direct, and production runs, and how the
modeling team gets bricks in whatever colors they want, and I started to
wonder:

Anyone know anything about the procedure they use to make LEGO bricks?
Specifically, what happens when they change colors?  Do they have to
thoroughly clean the molds/injectors/machinery/etc, or do they just dump
the new color in and throw away the first batch of bricks with "mixed"
colors?

What would happen if you mixed the plastic pellets of two different
colors - say, black and white.  Would you get a uniform grey, or would you
get a "marbled"/swirl effect?  I think that'd be pretty cool.

J, pondering.

Well, the Ultimate Lego Book (at least, that's what it's called in Dutch
translation) has some stunning pictures of the production process. They build
the three production steps (injection molding of the bricks, puting together
of the more complex parts and the packaging). In the first step, they show
about seven silos, each containing plastic pills in one color. From memory,
they had red, blue, light grey, dark grey, two black and green.
The machines that do the actual injection molding have a connection to one or
more of these silos. Perhaps someone with a scanner AND the book can put up
some pictures?
The dutch people have access to the book via 'De Slegte' bookshop in Enschede.

Mark - who still wonders about the whole disappearing act of the paperclips -