 General / 18905
18904  |  18906
Subject:
The Making of LEGO bricks, ?s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:26:03 GMT

I was thinking about LEGO direct, and production runs, and how the
modeling team gets bricks in whatever colors they want, and I started to
wonder:

Anyone know anything about the procedure they use to make LEGO bricks?
Specifically, what happens when they change colors?  Do they have to
thoroughly clean the molds/injectors/machinery/etc, or do they just dump
the new color in and throw away the first batch of bricks with "mixed"
colors?

What would happen if you mixed the plastic pellets of two different
colors - say, black and white.  Would you get a uniform grey, or would you
get a "marbled"/swirl effect?  I think that'd be pretty cool.

J, pondering.