 General / 18907
Re: The Making of LEGO bricks, ?s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:48:15 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Johnston" <sakura@mediaone.net>
To: <lugnet.general@lugnet.com>
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 11:26 AM
Subject: The Making of LEGO bricks, ?s

I was thinking about LEGO direct, and production runs, and how the
modeling team gets bricks in whatever colors they want, and I started to
wonder:

Anyone know anything about the procedure they use to make LEGO bricks?
Specifically, what happens when they change colors?  Do they have to
thoroughly clean the molds/injectors/machinery/etc, or do they just dump
the new color in and throw away the first batch of bricks with "mixed"
colors?

What would happen if you mixed the plastic pellets of two different
colors - say, black and white.  Would you get a uniform grey, or would you
get a "marbled"/swirl effect?  I think that'd be pretty cool.

Well, depending on the plastic, you could get either. If they use a
concentrate  (for color), and a blank type of plastic, then they would just
need to change the concentrate feeder. If they use pre-colored plastic, then
they would need to clean both the hopper, the concentrate, and the injection
mold machine as well. To get uniform color, you usually get the pre colored
stuff, which is more expensive but better in terms of running production
smoothly.

Scott S. (Who worked in a production plant using plastic for two years, and
got to mix the plastic and everything. Fun!)
--
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
It's Almost Here! ->The Sanburn Systems Company