 General / 18764
  Re: Wow! This guy is good!

(...) Different dithering techniques, I think. Eric H.'s "Pixelego" program applies error-diffusion dithering to the image. These ones appear to be hand-dithered (notice the stylistic lines in the foreheads and hair). (...) Even if they aren't (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wow! This guy is good!

(...) Kinda reminds me of drawing in EGA on 320 x 200 screens. Somehow it seems more acceptable here, but boy, those 16 non-definable colors drove me nuts (let's not mention the Apple ][ and the horrors it imposed). Anyway, I'd agree that it looks (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wow! This guy is good!

(...) Ohh, lets. No drawing one-pixel wide white lines -- one lone pixel is either blue or yellow, depending if it's in an even or odd column. (This is due to the techniques Microsoft invented 20 years later for their ClearType technology...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Graphics Programming on the Apple II (was: Wow! This guy is good!)

(...) Mein Gott! Someone who actually remembers graphics programming on the Apple II! But I remember things a little differently. A pixel was defined in a rather slippery fashion in Apple II "high-resolution" graphics. A pixel was either one bit or (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Graphics Programming on the Apple II (was: Wow! This guy is good!)

(...) Check this out: (URL). The "pixels" as you describe above aren't really whole pixels at all; rather they are subpixels, much like the red, green, and blue subpixels on a LCD display. This is exactly the concept Microsoft's Cleartype takes (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Graphics Programming on the Apple II (was: Wow! This guy is good!)

I'm not a TV engineer, but I recall the Apple ][ color distribution was made possible by a trick that used the luminance signal to gate an oscillating chroma signal. The transition from 1 to 0 (or from 0 to 1) was the key that produced a color (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Graphics Programming on the Apple II (was: Wow! This guy is good!)

(...) MS's Cleartype and the way Woz did Apple ]['s hires graphics mode are a world apart, actually. And the Apple ]['s 1/2-pixel horizontal shifting was the same on color monitors as green/black monitors -- that is, from the same video signal if (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Graphics Programming on the Apple II (was: Wow! This guy is good!)

(...) I agree that the underlying hardware is completely different, but the net result of having subpixels is similar, and leads to remarkably similar software solutions. (So much so that I hope it counts as prior art, 'cause it is an interesting (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Wow! This guy is good!

(...) (Looking at long string of discussion) I'm sorry I mentioned it. That should have been "Let's not *discuss* the Apple ][..." The horror...the horror...(where was Martin Sheen when I needed him)... Bruce (should I mention the horrors of drawing (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)