 General / 18474
Re: A piece everyone needs lots of... Chairs.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 17:02:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Powell writes:

Why?  There is no special packageing, no instructions, or printed boxes.  A
'specialty' part is no different from a normal brick in terms of how much it
would cost to produce.  (injecting plastic into a mold doesn't change cost
because the shape of the mold is different)

-yes, there is a price difference.  It depends on the cost of the
mold...believe it or not, a large cost for each piece is the mold, and not the
plastic-often the material is the cheapest part of it (packing, mold, Machine
costs are often the majority of the price).  So, if it takes longer to make
each piece/ sprue, then it will cost more to make.

We are talking about a mold that has already existed for well over a decade.  I
seriously doubt that the price of this particular mold would be part of the
price.

I assume that an agraggate order
will be close to 10 million units as a bare minimum. (i.e. that would • translate
into $400,000.)

-from what has been said, the minimum order size is likely to be 3 6 CU. Ft
Boxes (18 Cu. Ft of product), so a lot less than 10 million.  More in the • order
with the chairs of 10-50K pieces.

No way it would be that low and still cost effective unless they charge more
than most people are willing to spend.

Besides chairs in brown is a piece they are already producing
and will continue to do so at least through 2001.

No.  Lego makes sets in batches, and quite often only one batch of a set will
be made.  (depends on demand for set).  In other words, they most likely are
-not- making brown chairs right now.

In all likelyhood they will be making them again for the 2001 Flash Speeder
sets.

Anyways at 10 cents a chair I would rather pretend.  You don't actually need
the chair piece for any of my previously mentioned ideas.  they would simply
be
nice to have for apperance.  Unless it is something large like 1/4 saucer
sections in trans-red <drool> I would be very reluctant to pay more than 5
cents a piece. (assuming 2x4 brick is standard)

That is a personal thing.  Most of us are willing to pay $.1 a piece, and hope
some pieces will be less than that for them.  I would be quite willing to pay
that kind of price for chairs, the last ones I bought in auction were around
$.5/each.

Wha- ?!  Lego could sell almost all their parts at the .01 to .02 price ratio
that the bulk tubs have and still turn a healty profit.  <Rant mode on> CDs
were designed by the record industry to be a cheaper alternitive to Records and
obviously DVDs are far cheaper to make than VHS yet people are stupid enough to
pay more for them.  If people refused to pay such a high price for merchandise
then the companys would sell it at a much lower but still hightly profitable
price.  <Rant mode off>

The only pieces I would not be willing to spend that kind of money
on are the basic bricks, which are availabe in the buckets for less than that
per brick.  Haven't you ever priced how much it costs for lego bought in sets
rather than in bulk buckets?  The price is quite a bit higher (up to
.15-.2/brick, depending on the set).

Well, I never pay more than $0.10 to 0.11 a piece for normal sets.  I do most
of my shopping durring Ames' and K-mart's frequent sales.  I would make a
slight exception if the set contained GOOD large pieces.  (Good large pieces
are ones that can NOT be made out of existing parts.)  Anyway in a Lego set one
has a multitude of parts in various colors with high quality printed
instructions.  Ordering a few thousand of one part in one color should be
significantly cheaper.

James P

-Lord Insanity