 General / 18081
Re: cleaning smokey Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 16:31:33 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote:
Does anyone have a safe, fast way of removing cigarette smoke smell
from Lego pieces?

I just did this, and am very happy with the results.

First, separate any transparent pieces, paper, etc. from the batch; you won't
clean these using this technique.  I *have* used this technique on rubber and
printed pieces, with no ill effect.

Use a bucket; it makes it easier to carry the mess around.

Soak the pieces you will clean in luke-warm water, with a very *tiny* amount
of Pine-Sol.  (I use something like 1/2 a teaspoon of Pine-Sol to a gallon of
water.)  Swish around and let soak for a few hours, then rinse well.  This
gets rid of the smokey oils.  If your water gets really dirty, repeat this
step.  If necessary, you may increase the dose of Pine-Sol with great fear and
trepedation.  ;-)

Put the pieces in a fresh bucket of luke-warm water with a small amount of
dish soap.  (I recommend Ivory, as it leaves less residue than Palmolive.)
Swish around, and rinse and lay out to dry.  This gets rid of the Pine-Sol
residue.

The pieces might not have an odor while they're still wet, so do the "sniff
test" after they've dried.

Repeat as necessary.

Cheers,
- jsproat

I think the mistake a lot of us make
  is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.