 General / 18028
Re: cleaning smokey Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 00:58:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher Lindsey writes:
Eric McCarthy wrote:

Does anyone have a safe, fast way of removing cigarette smoke smell
from Lego pieces?

Here's what I have success with:

  1.  Plug the drain in the sink
  2.  Fill with stinky Lego pieces
  3.  Pump about three squirts of SoftSoap Antibacterial
      hand cleaner onto the bricks
  4.  Fill with *almost* hot water
  5.  Swish around for a minute or so with hand
  6.  Let stand 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in
      the center comes out clean
  7.  Drain and rinse

I have switched to this method, I add a few more steps though:

8. Fill bucket back up with almost hot water, add liguid dish detergent
9. swish around for a few minutes
10. drain and rinse (I rinse with running water, and then dump into a bucket
of rinse water for this final step)
11. drain
12. dry (I like to lay out the bits on a towel in the sun to get complete
drying in a an hour or two)

I find that the anti-bacterial soap leaves a little bit of residue. For not so
yucky LEGO parts, I use liquid dish detergent in step 3 (and still do two
washes).

For particularly nasty pieces, a soft brush will help.

Frank