 General / 17314
Re: Off Topic, but amusing ; )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 05:30:43 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Mike Poindexter <lego@poindexter.cc> wrote:
By that rationale, you could make monorail track and they wouldn't care.  I
would bet that the legal papers would come FEDEX if you tried, though.  A
trademark that isn't planned to be used again is still something that is an
option and people like to protect their options.  They might come out with
Blacktron III, although I doubt it.  Still, losing the ability to do it
would be a concern for them.

First, "m-tron" is not a registered trademark (neither is "m tron", "mtron",
or "m:tron"). But even if it were, trademarks need to be periodically
renewed, and cannot be renewed if they're not actively being used in
commerce.

Furthermore, if Lego had such a trademark, it would certainly be within
class 28, Toys and Sporting goods. Any other commercial use would be
perfectly legitimate. And so would non-related non-commercial use, for that
matter.

Class 28?  I didn't know the world had been divided so...rationally.  :)  Maybe
we need new acronyms to add to IANAL:  "IASLK" (I Am Somewhat Legalistically
(Jurisprudentially?) Knowledgeable") or "IAIAL:NJP" (I Am Indeed A Lawyer: No
Jokes, Please)?

This could get convoluted.  Perhaps that's fitting?  <gd&r>

best

LFB

XFUT-> o-t.fun