 General / 17275
Re: Lego Bedroom pictures uploaded at last!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 12:58:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Gosh, A reply from "Todd". Thanks.
There are all sorts of themes going on. I'm working on the text for my page
but wanted to get the pictures up first.
To answer some of your questions.
There is a mixture of scans from sets and magazines. Also DAT files I
created or downloaded from lugnet et al. I only use MLCAD. These were
converted using l3p I hardly have to edit the POV files if at all. I then
render to about 1200x780. This takes between 30 mins and two hours. Having
rendered I cut off any of the picture I don't need then print onto Avery A4
Photo Paper Labels. All I have to do then is cut the pictures out and stick
them on the wall. I had previously painted the walls in the various colours
to represent the sand, deep sea, surface water and the sky. The sky took
four coats before I got the colours right.
To make pictures bigger than A4 I cut the image up then print onto as many
sheets as I need. The treasure chest is 4 sheets of A4. The big sub-marine
was printed on a sheet of transparency about 1" square. I then mounted it
into a 35mm slide and projected the image onto the wall. Ithen traced the
image and painted the results. The dome of the sub I printed onto the photo
paper so I looked good. The printer is an Epson Color Stylus 640 which is
soooooooo good. Making sure the sub itself allowed the dome to be as big as
I could get on A4. The best bits are the reflection of the sub's arms in the
dome, the wayward jet-skier and the diver who looks like he's mending the
radiator. I'm still downloading DAT files rendering and printing.
Without LDRAW all of this would not be possible as I'm not an artist. I
really must thank all the people involved in LDRAW, LUGNET and POVRAY. I'll
be updating the pages soon and when I'm ready I might even ask to be
included in the "Cool Site" competition.
When Todd Lehman is impressed I know "I done good"

By the way I'm a he Robin.
www.sayce-jones.co.uk shows me and the family. It was all done for my four
year old. But as my Dad wouldn't let me have lego when I was a kid I'm not
so much coming out of the "dark years" but making the most of my son's love
of Lego. The other son is only 8 months. He has some Duplo and keeps wanting
to play with his brothers Lego. In time son, in time.

Thanks. (He says with a smile)

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message

WOW!!!

Not just underwater, but Star Wars too!  How did you do it!?!  Did you • paint
those all by hand from ray-traced renderings, or did you print them using • a
larger-format digital printer and then apply that to the walls and ceiling
somehow?

--Todd

p.s.  Are you a he Robin or a she Robin?  (I just wanna make sure I get • your
gender correct on the Spotlight page:
<http://www.lugnet.com/?p=2000-04-07> )