 General / 17229
Re: What 15 LEGO Pieces are still made today?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 19:20:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Wayne R Hussey wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:
In 1957 LEGO came out with the classic windows (9 different) and the
classic door.  In 1958 LEGO came out with the binding brick with tubes
underneath.  In 1962 they came out with LEGO wheels.

Here's a little quiz.  Out of the thousands of pieces LEGO makes today,
only 15 have been around since 1957.  Name them.  (Hint:  some pieces
have undergone some changes, but they are still the same basic pieces).

Gary Istok

Gary, Here's my best guess:

If I'm correct, do I get anything? ;)

If I'm not, will you send me the "list" to (eskimo2@worldnet.att.net)- my • new
address?

1x1 Brick,
1x2 Brick,
1x4 Brick,
1x6 Brick,
1x8 Brick,
2x2 Brick, 2x2 Roof Brick, 2x2 Roof Top Brick,
2x3 Brick,
2x4 Brick, 2x4 Roof Brick, 2x4 Roof Top Brick,
2x8 Brick,
2x10 Brick,
6x8 Plate.

Wayne

Wayne, the roof bricks didn't come into being until 1958 (red only), with • blue
coming along in 1960.

Gary Istok

Thanks, Gary.

Okay - scrap the roof bricks. Add instead:

2x8 Plate
2x4 Plate
2x2 Plate
1x2x2 Window

I feel closer, but I think I'm still in the dark.

BTW thanks for the great challenge. I have been very careful to not read
anyone else's guesses. Maybe after your response to this one, I will.

Wayne

OK Wayne, you got 14 out of 15.  The 2x2 plate didn't come into being until • 1963.
The item you have missing is the the one that has changed the most....

The 1x1 round brick.

This brick had a pure cylinder outer facing from 1956 until circa 1965 (Type • 1).
These bricks were probably one of the worst bricks for staying together, when
stacked upon each other.  There was very little binding power.  Then around • 1966
they remodelled these (Type 2)  with a tapered base, so that you can insert • these
bricks into the space between 4 studs (such as on a 2x2 brick).   Then in the • late
'70s they put a hole on top of the stud (Type 3) so that you could string • these
together like pearls.

The Type 2 and 3 round bricks both have excellent binding capacity for • sticking
together, unlike the Type 1.

Gary Istok

Gary,

I was thinking of the 1x1 round, and was aware of its evolution, but I wasn't
sure it was introduced with the first releases.

Confusion Alert! I did not list the 2x2 1/4 round brick (macaroni), which was
listed by two others and given as correct. So, there's one I've listed
incorrectly (the 1x4 brick), which was not listed by the others. Are you sure
there aren't 16? ;-)

I'd love to compare notes about revisions to pieces over the years. How do you
keep all the info straight? I can remember in the first few years of the space
series, cutting the stud notch into the bottom of the 8x wing pieces, but I
couldn't tell when it was that LEGO began to include it in the piece. Same
with LOTS of pieces - I know the revisions, not the dates. Do you have a DB
that you track all this info into? Is it possible to gain access to it?

Wayne (eskimo2@worldnet.att.net)