 General / 15917
Re: Old style clear windshields
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 05:46:13 GMT

I have several of those windows. Right now I have a Tipper Truck (have two,
rescued one from the collective). All the models I have did not come with clear
plates. My models all had red plates one the bottom of the windshields. I
suspect that you are right; that is, LEGO could not put tubes in the bottom so
they made them shorter, so a plate could go on bottom.

Chris

Troy Cefaratti wrote:

My collection has a couple of these windshields as well.  While i do not
remember what set these came from, i *believe* that they are a plate short
so that you could put a 2x4 clear plate on the bottom of them, which would
be necessary for "stacking" the windshield into a larger vehicle, as they do
not have interior tubes.

Troy

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
Recently there was a discussion about the clear slopes, specifically
2x2x2 steep slopes, which some of you folks call "minifig dress"
pieces.  I checked my clear parts box, and came across a bunch of
those.  But in addition I came across some old 1970's LEGO windshields
that are very unusual.  They are very similar to regular windshields
today (2x4x2), but they also have a back to the windshield (just like
the 2x2x2 clear sloped bricks have a front and a back to them).  The
really strange thing about these is that they are 2 x 4 x 1.6666 - they
are one plate short (1/3 brick height) of being 2 bricks tall.

A very strange piece!

Gary Istok