 General / 15916
15915  |  15917
Subject:
I just held a Lego Show!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 05:47:47 GMT

I'm physically exhausted and mentally bouncing off the walls!

I just spent the day at my daughter's school running a "Lego show". What
this consisted of was as many kids as wanted to, bringing in original
Lego creations, and displaying them all for the afternoon. I also got
some lego sets donated from a local toy store and myself, and we had a
draw for them at the end. I took a train and a monorail in, and we had
about 50-60 models on display, and about 120 people though the show (in
a school of 120 kids). There was wild enthusiasm from everyone and it
went really really well. What did we have...

a Duplo police station
an enormous and detailed 8-baseplate space base
two underwater bases
a 2-foot square castle with slaves being whipped (including blood)
a Mindstorms space ship which trundled about inside a "cage" of black
lines on a piece of paper
a cable car which ran up and down from a table to the windowsill
3-foot long space exploration ship with full interior detail
cryogenic sleeping quarters for spacemen
many small spaceships, houses, boats, vehicles, etc
a shark tank with a guy falling in
selection of Technic vehicles (made by my Wednesday Technic class)
a 2-foot square "Venezuelan Hideaway" with interior detail

and much more. It was *extremely* fun. There were lineups for a chance
to drive the train, my monorail dived to the floor at one point (someone
had fiddled with the automatic reverser - you should have seen the
circle of shocked and horrified faces which surrounded the wreckage!
Nothing broken though, I just reassembled it) and the train crashed a
few times when the kids went too fast.

I had multiple requests to "do it again soon!" so I will probably run
anotehr one nearer the end of teh school year. Probably with many more
models: this was the first ever, so people did not realise what it would
be like and there were lots of kids who didn't bother to make models
this time, who are now gung-ho to build something for the next one.

Interesting conversation between 2 kids helping me take apart the train
track - one of them the 9-your-old Mindstorms builder - about using
Mindstorms to automatically control a train layout. They were discussing
whether it would be better to use a touch sensor to make the train stop
at the station, or a light sensor. Seems to me I've heard that
discussion on here!

Kevin
--
Personal Lego Web page: