 General / 16061
Re: I just held a Lego Show!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 03:37:58 GMT

John Rudy wrote:
Do you have any pictures or material on this event?
How was it publicized?  Any pics of the winner's models?

I took pictures, but with a film camera so it will be a week or two
before I have them available to post. Because of the kids in them, I
will also want to get parents permission before posting them.

It was only publicised within the school: newsletter, word of mouth,
flyers posted on classroom doors and noticeboards, and a parent phone
tree reminder close to the day. Right up to the last day I was thinking
very few people were interested and it would be a flop, but in fact we
had just the right number of models (we filled the art room but didn't
have to squash things together to fit them in) and plenty of audience.

There were no "winners models" as such: although there were prizes, we
did it as a draw, so there was no judging. This particular school is an
alternative, academically non-coercive, democratically run community and
a judged competition didn't seem necessary or appropriate. The idea was
simply for the kids to build original models and enjoy seeing what
everybody could come up with, and we had builders from 5 to 15 years
old, from Duplo to Technic.

I'm now planning to take over the Gym in a couple of months time and
build a Lego Galaxy, with a town, Earthside space port, colony planet
with spaceport, space station, harbour, island, undersea bases, historic
area with castles and pirate ships... and opportunities for the kids to
drive trains, run vehicles, sail ships, and fly spaceships between the
various areas. They like to do things, not just look: the most popular
part of Friday's show was the opportunity to drive the train (which was
a spur-of-the-moment thing, I hadn't planned it beforehand. Train only
crashed three times!)

Kevin

--
Personal Lego Web page: