 General / 15906
Re: LOAF a new acronym
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 00:40:24 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

Wow, so moany others suffering the same horrible fate. I have no idea where the
set went. It was one of at least 75 sets that made the trip from ME to LA. One
the trip started nothing came out of the car. Hmmm...there was that night at my
in-laws house.....

How's this for an almost-LOAF, and *today* of all days?

Well, I live in an old Victorian house, with 1920s plumbing, and I keep my LEGO
workshop and mail centre in the basement.  Right now, as b-s-ters know, I'm boxing
and mailing out lots of SW sets from an incredible haul last week.  The boxes,
naturally, sit on the concrete floor, in my "area."

So I headed downstairs this morning to grab a few boxes for USPS and UPS, and I
smelled something...strange.  I looked over by the bikes, nothing.  I looked over
at the wine rack, nothing.  Then I looked over at the workshop--sewage.
Everywhere.  And moving.  AIIIEEEE!  I went for the boxes INSTANTLY.

Well, as luck would have it, the flooding had just started, so the boxes were OK.
I've never moved so fast as when I was throwing those boxes OUT the cellar door and
onto the lawn!  This was no time for niceties, even though I tend to pack things in
plastic bags inside the boxes.  What's more, I had a few MISB rare sets also
sitting on the floor, but the one that was in the "flood zone" already was
fortuitously sitting on a plastic bag, so it was minimally wettened.

More luck, I now keep all of my parts in heavy plastic bins, and I also bought two
large tables ($25 at Office Depot, 60x30") and had sets sitting on those where they
were on the ground just two days ago.  So my total losses were one piece of carpet
($20), four unconstructed 18"x18"x18" boxes ($10), and my sense of smell once I was
done bleaching the entire area ($0, I had the flu anyways).  It could have been
much worse.

Time to look into insurance, I say.  But at least nothing was damaged--I thought
ahead, because we had a washing-machine flood a year ago and that same area
flooded.  Sure, they said it would never happen again, and it didn't--not from the
washer, anyhow.

Wish me luck, I just bought a new mop.  :)

best

Lindsay