 General / 15687
Re: Lego direct for castle ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:50:07 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

[x-post and FUT lugnet.general]

In lugnet.castle, Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:

To be honest, that is all that I can think of for now.  If they brought the
above mentioned pieces, I think I would order from Lego direct and nothing
else ... ;)

Thats exactly why you probably will never see everything you want from LEGO
Direct.  TLC is not stupid and while I think they will work to satisfy most of
our needs they will still limit us enough were we have to buy at least some
sets.  That is OK with me.  Just to be able to get all the Gray, DkGray, Tan,
Brown, and primary colored Bricks, Plates, and slopes In the sizes and
quantities you want will be enough for me.

It's interesting.  When writing about the historical way TLC has ignored AFOLs,
people tend to make two rants:

1. There aren't enough AFOLs to make a financial impact on TLC.
2. TLC won't offer direct parts ordering, because then nobody would buy the
sets.

I never really thought about it before now, but these two positions are mutually
exclusive.  So which is it?  Do we make a difference to TLC, or not?  I'm
guessing we do.  Perhaps in indirect ways (primarily, we influence other people
to buy more LEGO sets), but we do have an impact.

Something else which always bugs me is the assumption that TLC will
"lose" money with Lego Direct. If they price the parts correctly, and do
a good job on the distribution system, I believe they can sell them for
less than the per piece cost of sets, yet make more money for TLC
overall. Of course the downside is some reduction in the number of sets
sold, but I doubt the quantity will be meaningful, though the big chains
may see an impact (fewer AFOLs clearing out the clearance aisles, thus
lower overall clearance prices - I suspect the sales impact of AFOLs at
non-clearance prices is minimal).

Why will this be possible? There are design and distribution costs of
sets which increase the per piece cost, without adding any benefit to
the AFOL.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com