 Castle / 2950
Re: Lego direct for castle ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:33:26 GMT

I think BURPS would work well. I think they would work well for train clubs
(raised bases, mountains, tunnels), castle groups (ditto), and town folks
(again mountains and tunnels). I hope these are indeed among the pieces
available for ordering. I cannot see LEGO ever releasing them in a parts
pack. Windows, doors, arches, etc. on the other hand are all common enough
to be small parts packs. I think we should be thinking along the lines of
the things that are nearly impossible to get as opposed to things that are
tough to get now but where demand could easily be satisfied by issuing the
correct assortment of parts packs.
    (Since I have started down this path, which I really wasn't going to
do...) I think LEGO could function under its current, or previous, parts
pack structure. They just were not offering things that catered to our
needs. Just because we cannot get red or black train doors easily now does
not mean that bulk ordering is the solution. I do feel that if LEGO is only
going limit production on certain colors (like purple, pink, or light blue)
the community should be allowed to order these pieces in bulk before the
disappear again. I just have a hard time thinking that offering something
like a train door is going to be helpful to a large group of people for any
sustained period of time.
    Now with that said, I understand that there are a good number of people
out there that will buy doors up as if it were the last production run ever.
That is great. I am truly happy that their needs might be met, but what
happens 6 months from the initial offering? Will LEGO still receive request
for 50,000 train doors? I doubt it. Will there still be a long term demand
for 2x4's in a variety of colors? Well they have been around since the
beginning.
    I guess I am just a pessimist and I look at it this way. LEGO Direct
might not succeed. They have tried similar ventures before and it just
wasn't cost effective. Hence the birth of parts packs. If you could order an
unlimited amount of 10 different pieces only, from now until eternity,  what
would they be? (I know there are long threads on this already.) I think
windows, doors, trees, arches etc could survive a long time as parts packs.
There just has to be an understanding of what to put in those packs (4 Tall
Cypress, 2 Round, etc.). I think this is where our input would be most
beneficial to TLC. For example creating a train pack that consists of 2
train doors, 8 windows, and glass (available in various colors like current
plates packs) . I would think 2 doors per 8 windows is a good ratio. In a
similar example I think there should be a pack with larger windows in
something other than red.
    To sum this thing up... I think we should look at the opportunity cost
of choosing highly specialized pieces. This might be our only chance. Go
back to the basics, 1xN, 2xN, and hope that LEGO understands the things we
want are not the same thing as what they are offering. They are lending us
their ear lets make sure they hear us in case they are forced to change
their mind later.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of that.

-Nick