 General / 1427
Re: TLG Marketing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:03:17 GMT

Eric Brok wrote in message ...
:>
:>Does this make sense to anyone?  It happens every year.  New sets
:>trickle in from December to January, and it's February before they
are
:>in all the stores.  Wouldn't TLG make more money if on the day after
:>Thanksgiving their shelves were full of new, never-before-seen sets?
:
:
:Makes perfect sense to me. If the new sets were in before christmas,
the old
:sets wouldn't be sold as much as they (should) do now.
:In the Netherlands, the larger portion of all toy sales are in
december. So
:in december most of *current year sets* must be sold. During the year
only a
:small portion of the public buys LEGO sets just because (and when)
they are
:new.

Yeah, I think Erik is right, though I originally shared Jim's
thoughts.

Tonight, I was in several stores and checked out the Lego aisles.
Nothing is on sale. Even the stuff that was discounted only weeks ago.
Manufacturers and retailers are going to squeeze every bit of profit
out of stuff already in inventory. The people with high brand loyalty,
like us, are very familiar with prices and sales and don't contribute
much to the manufacturers per unit profits.

If you think about it, none of the toy makers release new stuff before
Christmas.

DJ Zorn