 General / 1381
1380  |  1382
Subject:
TLG Marketing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:38:01 GMT

I have just returned from TRU in Kennesaw Georgia.  I went there because
of the report that 1999 adventurers were there.  They had the large set,
the big Aztec Temple set.  That answers that question, anyway.  They are
Aztec, not Mayan or Incan.  Cool.  My hopes are up for a human sacrifice
kit:)

The reason I'm posting, though, is that for the life of me, I do not
understand the marketing strategy at TLG.  I have just returned from a
consumer hell.  It took 45 minutes to drive from my house, 12 miles up
the interstate, to TRU.  Most of the transit time was sitting on the
exit ramp to a large and popular mall.  TRU itself was packed.  People
were killing each other to get Power Rangers, Furbies, whatever.  And
Lego has one new 1999 set on the shelves.

Does this make sense to anyone?  It happens every year.  New sets
trickle in from December to January, and it's February before they are
in all the stores.  Wouldn't TLG make more money if on the day after
Thanksgiving their shelves were full of new, never-before-seen sets?
Even if there is some advantage to slowly releasing sets, why only
release the most expensive new set in a wildly popular theme?  Wouldn't
you want to offer sets at a variety of price levels?  Does anyone who
understands business and marketing want to weigh in here?

/ _ _ / _ _             Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue...
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============