 General / 13444
Re: Death of the studded brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:29:27 GMT

D. Jezek <danjezek@REMOVEaloha.net> wrote:
Yes, that's what I was thinking when looking at the scans of the new star wars
technic droids.  There doesn't seem to be a single studded brick in these sets!
These sets look nice and have a great functionality but they don't _look_like_
lego at all.  If there wasn't the lego logo on top of the box then I would
just think of them as some other brand toy.

It's not a new thing -- the trend was definitely there in 1996's <set:8422>.
There's still beams with studs, but it's not the primary means of
construction.

In a couple years we might see the studded bricks and plates which have been
around for decades dissappear alltogether and be replaced with different kind
of connectors.  While this may not actually be a bad thing because these new

I don't think so. Technic may go more this way, but the system lines won't
so much. And there will still be some of the "old way" in technic. It's part
of a whole Primo -> Duplo -> System -> Technic chain.