 General / 1309
Re: 1999 comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:17:45 GMT

More completely random thoughts...

Steve Bliss writes:
I don't remember seeing the Hoth lookout post before.  I assume that
either comes with the Snowspeeder, or is not actually available (but
LEGO doesn't seem to put not-for-sale decorative stuff in their catalogs
any more).

Ain't that odd?  Appears in the main catalog, not in the 1-sheet.  Also, the
Snowspeeder is slightly different (flat vs. canted wings, plus a spot of red on
the front in the 1-sheet version).  Maybe the 1-sheet shows a prototype, before
the cannon was added?

Very unusual, seems to me, for Lego to be inconsistent like this-- makes me
wonder what the time to market for the SW sets was and whether the 1-sheet was
rushed. OTOH, I was looking over the X-Wing sneak peek photo that got out a few
months ago... remarkably unchanged.

I hope they're going to surprise us with a big honkin' Death Star playset
before long.  The lack of SW playsets is a little annoying-- none of the E1
sets appear from their titles to be non-vehicle sets, either, except the
mysterious "Lightsaber."

The Adv. river boat looks really cool.  ...

I'm really jazzed about the river boat.  That one took me by surprise.
I'm thinking "Queen of the Nile", now.  ...

Definitely!  Since poring over the larger scans I think this is my fave new
set.  (Um, well, ignoring the screaming SW fanboy inside me, anyway.)  Boat
and idol both are very cool, with a great selection of parts.  Seven minifigs!

Disturbing observation: I see only two "native" mini-figs, one each in the two
largest sets.  :-/

I just noticed... is that a new boat element in the large Amazon set?

It's not new -- it appeared in 1998's Belville Luxury Cruiser, #5848.

"I was not aware of that!"  Thanks.

Space Port: nicely rounded selection, IMO.

Hmm. It looks like Space Port, Jr. to me.

Uh, yeah.  Looking over the larger scans I see what you mean.  Far too many of
those double-slopey things, for one thing.  Still, I like the variety of the
sets, and the removable cargo section for the shuttle is pretty cool.

Town Jr. How... uncompelling.

Yes and no.  Some of the sets look like they are at exactly the same
level as the 1998 Town Jr. sets.  But others look like they have raised
the part count somewhat.  I think this could be called "refining the
formula".

I like the Police Boat.  Even if it is Yet Another Police Boat....

Theme turnover is pretty brutal, though not unexpected: Western/Indian, Robo/
UFO, Divers/Outback...

Lastly: Rock Raiders still doesn't do much for me.  Just as well, given all the
other goodies....

Kevin