 General / 11300
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 07:52:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, "Tom Stangl, VFAQman" <talonts@vfaq.com> writes:
Jonathan Wilson wrote:
I can see a point to some of this discussion... for example if TLG later
sends an addendum to the catalog because they have dropped certain sets
and us AFOLS have seen the sets then we will get annoyed and pester TLG
as to why the sets have not appeared.

You mean like the 1886 SW bucket that never showed up, that MIGHT show up
now under a 71xx number?

Kinda exactly like that, yeah.[1]

Personally, I'll have to agree with Onyx here - no matter how sugar-coated
it was, Todd and Suz's posts come across to ME (as in they seemed to ME
like) as bullying Huw into taking them down, and that bothers the HELL out
of me, as I normally see eye-to-eye with Todd.

Yikes.  Wow.  Well, I'm going to have to tone down my opinions then, if it
came across that way.  More disclaimers needed, or something.

Persuade through logical argument, yes.  Bully, no.  (I'm speaking for
myself here.)

No, if I were actually trying to "bully" someone into doing or not something
(not that I would), I don't think I'd waste my time making statements that
could be interpreted one way or the other (i.e., an opinion); I'd make
things 100% clear.  But I'd have to think I had some serious basis on which
to stand first.  Since there was little basis here other than well-
intentioned opinion (in my case), that's what it was and nothing more.  In
Suzanne's case, she knows more than I do, so she has her own reasons.

Here again, for the record, is what I wrote in my reply to Huw's original
post.  I've added some additional notes below each sentence:

   "It's too late now, but beware that retailer catalogues are not intended
    for public consumption, especially before stores receive product."

       [i.e., (psst, heads-up) it's too late now, but here's something
       to be aware of for next time...]

   "Many retailers in the U.S. haven't even been given copies of the
    year-2000 catalogue yet, probably to minimize the possibilities of leaks
    in this emerging Internet age."

       [i.e., here's one reason possibly why]

   "Although this is great fun and interesting for us all to see, and
    privileged information like this may be difficult to keep under one's
    hat,"

       [i.e., acknowledgement of the thrill of posting such information]

   "the publishing and touting of full-page scans of retailer catalogues
    does make us look bad as a community."

       [i.e., the overall disadvantages may outweigh the overall advantages]

   "It may even represent an invasion of the LEGO Company's publicity
    rights, as they themselves have not yet officially announced many of
    these products."

       [i.e., what you've done may potentially get you in trouble
       with LEGO if you're not careful]

Do you see anything there that could even remotely be called bullying?
logical argument one way or another on the issues.  No where was it ever
implied that Huw should take down scans or his post, except in one small
spot where Suzanne suggested it from the point of a good-intentioned LEGO
enthusiast with a genuine concern for the delicate relationship between
adults and the LEGO Company.

If that sounds like bullying to anyone, then, man, people are paranoid.  Or
else people are taking my and Suzanne's attitudes too seriously.  We're just
fans like everyone else -- maybe a little more crazy and "into it" than most
-- but our opinions shouldn't count any more than anyone else's where
off-site information is concerned.  On LUGNET, that's a different story, but
that's not what we're talking about.  Now if you actually think we were
bullying Huw, and if you think that's bad (I would), then by all means flame
us to a crisp -- don't hold back!

The only reason I think Huw should take them down is if someone shows
him a full catalog with actual legalese as to NOT redistributing the
data inside.  Otherwise, let freedom (of information) reign.

All things being equal, I would totally agree.

--Todd

[1] but once again, just for good measure:  both the number 1886 and the
name of the set were publicly available information over the phone from US
S@H & C.A. several months ago.

[followups to lugnet.debate -- getting pretty off-topic here -- and there
are too many issues & sub-issues & sub-sub-issues]