 General / 11241
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:25:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Huw Millington writes:

Suzanne D. Rich <suz@media.mit.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.announce, Huw Millington writes:

Huw,

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your
correspondent (name?) neglected their responsibility to inform you that
the information passed along to you was meant only for retailers and then
only for ordering purposes.
The retailer catalog is traditionally a closely guarded item, never meant
for public (including competitor) consumption.

As a truly good intentioned LEGO enthusiast, I am asking you to remove
these illegal scans from internet publication and also ask Todd to delete
your previous post. This is in response to my desire to keep the delicate
relationship between adult online enthusiasts and the LEGO Company intact.
also is protective of smaller retailers and of the LEGO Company itself. I
could go into a discussion of why what you have done is against the interest
of the company, but I'll save it -- assuming you agree with the above.

Please excuse my curt reaction, but I am quite stunned and alarmed.

Looks like I have stirred up a hornet's nest here...

I'll gladly withdraw my post and the scans if the majority feel that I have
in some way violated TLC's rights. The last thing I want to do is upset
them, or for that matter, LUGNET.

But I would state:

How does this differ from publishing pictures of early prototypes of Star
Wars sets? No-one made a fuss when that was done (not by me)

I do not know how my correspondent came to be in posession of the catalogue,
but I think its safe to say that he was given it, and did not steal it or
otherwise illegally obtain it.

In 1995 I and another AFOL in the UK were sent 1996 retailers catalogues
through the post at the beginning of December by a LEGO UK empolyee who we
struck up a relationship with in r.t.l., so it would not seem to be as
'closely guarded' as you think.

I don't believe I have published any trade-secrets that won't be public once
the European catalogues are published in a few weeks. There's no price
information or other sensitive stuff there.

If the majority believe they should be withdrawn by 18:00 GMT tomorrow, I'll
do it, (or ask Todd to if I can't get Outlook to do it)

Huw

Huw,

This does not require a vote. It calls for swift appropriate action. You
know that. Else you wouldn't be keeping all names out of your discussion.

And FYI, I was equally distressed about the SW leaks and every other leak I've
seen or heard anywhere. I just happened to act on this one today. sorry you're
the unlucky one. I don't mean to make an example of you, it's the behavior.

-Suz.