 General / 11242
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:27:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Huw Millington writes:
[...]
How does this differ from publishing pictures of early prototypes of Star
Wars sets? No-one made a fuss when that was done (not by me)

IIRC, almost all of those early prototype photos came from Star Wars fansites,
and none from LEGO fansites.  Keep in mind that those are two totally
different communities and collector/fan mindsets.  Star Wars fans do that
sort of thing for a living, and IMHO, don't give a hoot about the company
whose products they're leaking information about.  I certainly can't imagine
the Star Wars community at large even -listening- if someone lodged a
complaint against leaked information of any type.  Someone would be flamed
to a crisp for speaking up against that sort of thing.

On the other hand, you, as a long-time outstanding LEGO fanatic, obviously
care about LEGO and its future as a company, and that's a reason why you
(as opposed to SW zealots) can understand and agree with the concerns/"fuss"
raised.  Big difference, right?  :-)

[...]
In 1995 I and another AFOL in the UK were sent 1996 retailers catalogues
through the post at the beginning of December by a LEGO UK empolyee who we
struck up a relationship with in r.t.l., so it would not seem to be as
'closely guarded' as you think.

A company's policies are one thing.  Irresponsible employees are another.

I don't believe I have published any trade-secrets that won't be public
once the European catalogues are published in a few weeks.  [...]

I don't believe so either.  However, I wonder if that makes it right....

--Todd