 General / 11243
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:28:20 GMT

Huw Millington wrote:

If the majority believe they should be withdrawn by 18:00 GMT tomorrow, I'll
do it, (or ask Todd to if I can't get Outlook to do it)

You're going to base your decision on what the majority thinks?

Bzzt. Wrong answer. IMHO.

Either you personally don't think it's wrong and you're prepared to take
the responsibility for doing it (note carefully that the way LUGNET is
structured, LUGNET is not responsible for your words, LUGNET exercises
no editorial control over them).... OR, you do, and you're going to act
accordingly.

This is a moral decision on your part, not a popularity contest.
Majorities have no business dictating moralities. (1)

Now, arguably, you could be saying that you have already made your mind
up one way or the other but you've decided to let the majority vote
carry. That's only OK in my book if you
A) have decided that it's OK
and
B) care what other people think more than you care for sticking to
principle.

That's fine. I'm just sticking my nose in and hopefully giving you
something to think about.

Followups ought to go somewhere else than general and loc.uk...

1 - "the moral majority is neither" is one of my favorite
bumperstickers...