 General / 11237
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:07:21 GMT

Suzanne D. Rich <suz@media.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:FMADnz.9p6@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.announce, Huw Millington writes:

Huw,

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your • correspondent
(name?) neglected their responsibility to inform you that the information
passed
along to you was meant only for retailers and then only for ordering • purposes.
The retailer catalog is traditionally a closely guarded item, never meant • for
public (including competitor) consumption.

As a truly good intentioned LEGO enthusiast, I am asking you to remove • these
illegal scans from internet publication and also ask Todd to delete your
relationship between adult online enthusiasts and the LEGO Company intact. • It
also is protective of smaller retailers and of the LEGO Company itself. I • could
go into a discussion of why what you have done is against the interest of • the
company, but I'll save it -- assuming you agree with the above.

Please excuse my curt reaction, but I am quite stunned and alarmed.

Looks like I have stirred up a hornet's nest here...

I'll gladly withdraw my post and the scans if the majority feel that I have
in some way violated TLC's rights. The last thing I want to do is upset
them, or for that matter, LUGNET.

But I would state:

How does this differ from publishing pictures of early prototypes of Star
Wars sets? No-one made a fuss when that was done (not by me)

I do not know how my correspondent came to be in posession of the catalogue,
but I think its safe to say that he was given it, and did not steal it or
otherwise illegally obtain it.

In 1995 I and another AFOL in the UK were sent 1996 retailers catalogues
through the post at the beginning of December by a LEGO UK empolyee who we
struck up a relationship with in r.t.l., so it would not seem to be as
'closely guarded' as you think.

I don't believe I have published any trade-secrets that won't be public once
the European catalogues are published in a few weeks. There's no price
information or other sensitive stuff there.

If the majority believe they should be withdrawn by 18:00 GMT tomorrow, I'll
do it, (or ask Todd to if I can't get Outlook to do it)

Huw