 General / 11238
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:12:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy Rear writes:
Suzanne-

I acutally have to disagree with your comment here.

If they wanted to keep this information confidential, then they would not
have released ANY of the information given to us, by means of a thrid part
correspondent, or by someone directly within the company.

There are layers of confidentiality, obviously.  I believe this is a breach
of the layer between the retailer and the customer.

BTW, I wouldn't assume that sending out retailer catalogs qualifies as
"releasing" information.  Retailer catalogs contain private information
intended for retailers only and are quite different from consumer product
catalogs.

I don't think
that our reputation as LEGO® users is, at any degree, in jeopardy due to
the release of information.

You don't think it makes fans on the net look bad when something like this
happens?  Illegally leaked scans on the net?  What then, do you think it
makes fans look good?  All the net-enabled employees at LEGO sitting around
all impressed by how quickly fans can amass and distribute information?  Is
that how it looks?

No.  Again, the retailer catalogs contain private LEGO Company information,
shared under certain conditions with retailers.

Retailers aren't even supposed to show these catalogs to customers.  In fact,
employees at the MoA LIC have said in the past that they could even lose
their *jobs* for showing a retailer catalog to customers.  Obviously, these
are things that TLC does not want wide out in the open, much less prior to
product delivery and launch.

Perhaps a lurking TLC or ex-TLC employee who has worked retail could shed
some light on this debate if it didn't involve divulging any TLC-confidential
information.

Besides, the adult LEGO® user group arena is so insignificant to the number
of children who use their product, that it probably would not effect their
marketing goals or strategies.

c /effect/affect

The adult fan base may be insignificant compared to the total number of
purchasers of LEGO products, but it certainly isn't insignificant in the
realm of the Internet.  Not when potentially any number of people can come
visit a site.  In any case, even if it had no impact, does that make it
right?  (Again, Huw deserves benefit of the doubt that his correspondent
neglected his/her responsibility to inform Huw that the information passed
along was confidential.)

In my *personal* opinion as a fan (and not as a representative of LUGNET),
I think that seeing these appear is truly wonderful for fans.  But in my
professional opinion -- for what it's worth -- this is NOT a good thing
to jump the gun like this.

--Todd