 General / 10748
Re: My dream about lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:48:05 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Last night I dreamt that I was on a spaceship, designed to carry some cats
around the Earth. On that spaceship, I found a big box of lego. I started
digging through it, and found a brick with the shell logo printed on it. I
thoguht "Wow! A Shell gas station lies in this box, mixed up with the rest
of the bricks!" I started to dig for more bricks, as I thoguht "I can always
get the instructions from Brickshelf when I return to Earth." I got more and
more happy, and I actually believed that it was happening for real!

But, I woke, and at first I still tohught that I had the bricks somewhere,
but...

Here's my nightmare, and it's true - it happened about 2 years ago.

I'd been reading RTL for a few months, and the SHELL bit comes up. I recall that
I gave my kids my old LEGO. I dig around, come up with a white 2x4 with SHELL
on it and a red 2x4 with the Shell logo. Then I find the old gas station plates
with the flip-up doors, except the doors got broken when I was a kid, and the
clear bricks are worn and scratched.

Then I remember that I had the 6-stud blue transport truck and the flatbed
with the crane, except the tracks are broken, and the steering mechanism is broken
too.

Then I put it all back in the kids LEGO boxes so they can play with it, and I go to
my office happy again.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

Wow!! What a horrifying story!!

I say that because I'm glad that never happened to me.  In fact, I may have been the
one that wrote about those Shell sets.  Set #325 has the Shell brick (I think it
actually was a 2x3) and those marvellous flip-up garage doors (the early classic
variety made circa 1956-72).  These doors are either red or white in every other old
LEGO set, but are yellow with clear panels only in this one set (325).  I was very very
fortunate to get this set in a European Auction - the item was mismarked as set 3122
(the only number listed on the instructions), and no one else bid against me.  So I got
it for only $18. (For me, a true FOTW.)  When I received it I was shocked to see that
the set was probably only ever assembled once, and all pieces were in MINT condition.

I love these old yellow flip-up garage doors.  If anyone ever wanted to sell one or
more of these (even without the garage plate or frame), I would be glad to pay way more
(for one) than the $18 I paid  for the two in this set.

Now I'm going to have nightmares tonight about my nephew (Kid-zilla) doing a Godzilla
attack on my Shell Garage.

Gary Istok