 General / 10323
Re: Mindstorms recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:02:17 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote in message
news:FLB9KB.EFv@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, John VanZwieten writes:
Go with the RIS.  My son is the same age and does just fine with it.  In
addition to learning about robotics, your son will learn the basics of
programming (conditions, loops, etc.)  Also, the scout has only 2 inputs • and
outputs to the RCX's 3 each.  Plus lots of things have already been done • with
the RCX, so you can find great projects on the web.

I'd recommend buying the RIS 1.0, and then you can pay an extra $5 or so • and
get the 1.5 upgrade kit, which comes with lots of extra parts.

-John Van

Bruce Schlickbernd <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote in message
Any recommedations on one Mindstorms system over another for a bright boy • of
8.5?  Yes, he can use computers.  I'd rather start him off with one of • the
sets
designed for 9 year olds - just wondering if there is something to • recommend
one over another.

Bruce

Hmmmm.  I just wonder if he won't find that too overwhelming and simply not • do
it.

If you are willing to put in the time to help get him started, and if he's at
all computer-oriented, he probably won't be overwhelmed.  My son has a much
easier time with the programming part than he does with actually building his
own robot stuff.  I often help him build a robot then he figures out how to
program it.

I'm quite prepared to get him the whole shebang if he takes to it - or
rather, my wife will get Granddad to buy it.  :-)

That's what we did!  Granddad thought his investment paid off pretty well when
we got invited to MindFest at MIT (even if we didn't get invited for our
Mindstorms stuff).  Now we have to figure out how granddad can add to his
investment this year :-)

-John Van

Thanks for the input!

Bruce