 General / 10317
Re: Mindstorms recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:49:10 GMT

Go with the RIS.  My son is the same age and does just fine with it.  In
addition to learning about robotics, your son will learn the basics of
programming (conditions, loops, etc.)  Also, the scout has only 2 inputs and
outputs to the RCX's 3 each.  Plus lots of things have already been done with
the RCX, so you can find great projects on the web.

I'd recommend buying the RIS 1.0, and then you can pay an extra $5 or so and
get the 1.5 upgrade kit, which comes with lots of extra parts.

-John Van

Bruce Schlickbernd <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote in message
Any recommedations on one Mindstorms system over another for a bright boy of
8.5?  Yes, he can use computers.  I'd rather start him off with one of the • sets
designed for 9 year olds - just wondering if there is something to recommend
one over another.

Bruce