 Gaming / Starship / 747
Re: Rules Talk: Inter-Sector Movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:36:29 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson wrote:
In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
In lugnet.gaming.starship, Avery Christy wrote:
We SM's could take a little responsibility on inter sector transit. The GM does not have to
play traffic cop!

I don't know, just trying to help out.

-Avery

That's a great Idea (with a capital 'I')!  It would only require GM involvement
with a new player with no home sector.  This should definitely be taken under
consideration.  As for me, I'm all for it!

Andrew

I support either this idea or Richard's offer to monitor things during
my...er...sabbatical.  Anyone else have a preference?  Galactic Chief Richard as
Regent?  SM's sharing the duty instead?  Something else?  It reminds me of times
past when one might call for a vote for this sort of thing.  If everyone wishes
to take this conversation that far, I will have to vote for Richard's offer on
the grounds that I don't have time currently to truly consider the pros and cons
of the other ideas.  Still, anything that can be done to keep the game moving is
good in my book.  You'll forgive me but I must break now to finish ordering the
kilts...  :)

If you don't hear from me until it's all over, then have a great remainder of
the summer (or winter for those down under) and I'll hopefully join in more
after mid-September...

-Hendo

If Richard is willing to take on that responsibility, then God bless him.
However, maybe a mixture of the two ideas would help to spread the work load
around. I mean, there is not a whole lot of work anyhow unless it is all left to
one person and that person has active players in one or two of their sectors.
Then it is a lot of work.

I have given the inter sector travel some thought, and Andrew Engstrom pointed
out a good thing to consider, and that was about players with no sector of
origin. (Please read his posting). Other than that, I can not really see any
problems that might arise from the SM's handling the traffic. That allows
Richard and Hendo to focus on bigger things, like having fun and playing, and
ship registry.

I will back Richard taking over the GM duties for a time, until Hendo returns to
his rightful place, but only if Richard wants to. I don't want to force anything
on anyone.

How about we do this: we have Richard as Galactic Regent while Hendo is gone.
The SM's will help to lighten the load by handling inter sector travel. If there
is a new player with no home sector, then the Regent steps in. Otherwise, the
SM's can calculate out the ETA of arrival to the destination sector of each
departing ship from their sectors.

-Avery